What is Steamband?
Steamband is a Victorian/steampunk/pulp variant of Angband, which uses none of the original Angband content and is perhaps one of the largest departures from standard Angband. It uses a new stats system, uses skills, and includes new races, classes and monsters. The adventurer is even civilized enough to wear trousers, an article of clothing largely absent in the Roguelike genre.
One can belong to any of a number of human nationalities:
Or one can be a member of some non-human race:
- Daoine Sidhe
- Old One
- Seelie Fae
- Unseelie Fae
One may even represent the cutting edge of technological advancement:
There are three combat-oriented classes:
- Adventurer - class powers are mainly useful utility functions
- Dashing Hussar - class powers are mainly combat boosts
- Officer - some combat boosts, influencing monsters
- Aesthete - main power is money; enchants items
- Engineer - special access to certain spellbook-like devices
- Gentleman/Lady - lacking in class powers, possibly good choice for spell magic
- Medium - psychic class powers
- Naturalist - class powers are elemental and nature centered; get good healing early
- Rogue - while stealth-centered, martial arts awesomeness allows to run as combat heavy character
How Do I Play This Crazy Thing?
Gameplay discussion is here: Steamband Gameplay